Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thing four: Keeping Up

It is really hard for me to do the same thing everyday. The best example of this I can give is video games. If I'm playing a game that requires me to play it every day so I can gather my coins or ask my friends for building pieces, I soon lose interest it in. I feel like RSS feeds are the same way. Depending on how much content you add to them, you can spend hours going through it all. I am also the type of person who likes to go through everything once. So I can see myself scrolling through my feed until I get to something I saw or read the previous day. That way I know I didn't miss anything.

I found Zite very interesting because I could add professional content. They actually had some categories for metadata and other cataloging related topics. I feel it is very important to stay on top of what is happening in your professional field and RSS feeds do a great job of that. If you are able to pull from the right sources.

I enjoyed how Zite grayed out an entry after I had looked at it. That visual reminder can be very helpful when you have a lot of material to look through. I also liked how you were able to single out one topic from your Quicklist. I thought this was wonderful if you didn't have a lot of time and you wanted to check up on one specific point. I also thought this was great for people who work in two different types of librarianship. Librarians who work in both academic and public libraries would be able to sort through all the information on Zite if they wanted something specific.

In the end, I found it very hard for me to keep going back to Zite and looking at the content I added on there. I think it works great for people who are really into RSS feeds. Even though I can see a lot of positives in reading material this way, the feeling of dread I had when knowing I had something I needed to look at every day just wore on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment