Saturday, March 22, 2014

Thing six: Creating and Editing Docs


I know everyone feels like technology is changing rapidly every day and there is always something new and different to be had. This is true, but I don't feel like it is as rapid as it once was. I feel the app I used for Thing 6, Quickoffice in a way set me back.

I downloaded CloudOn and tried connecting to my Google Drive account and I kept getting an error message. I quickly gave up on that app.

Quickoffice was already installed on my device since it is Google based so I used that. Once I figured out how to access my Drive I noticed right away that there were documents I could not open. They were normal Word and Excel documents with nothing fancy involved. It would have been nice for the app to tell me why they were unable to open these documents instead of just graying them out.

I went through and tried creating a document of each type to see the differences from the PC versions. Right away I could tell that I was very limited in what I could do. It felt like I had gone back to the first version of these programs. My selections were few and the flexibility I had come to understand and expect with these products was gone. It was not a pleasant experience.

The only way I could see myself using this program for anything work related would be if I had to change something very simple like the words on the page. If I had to do any kind of reformatting to the document, change a picture in a PowerPoint or background theme, there would be no way I could accomplish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment